Bright manicures scream summer – even if the Irish weather doesn’t. Always stylish, summer brights are all about making a fun statement and using nail colour as an accessory.
At the moment, I’m loving the latest additions to the Wet n Wild Wildshine polish range which are a bargain €1.99 each. The eye-popping polishes give intense colour in two strokes and last the obligatory few days chip-free on my nails.
My favourite shades in the new line-up include Grasping At Strawberries (deep pink) and Who Is Ultra Violent? (purple). They’re fun, vibrant and for €1.99, you can afford to switch up your nail colour without breaking the bank.
Finally, here are a few top tips I’ve picked up over the years for upping your manicure game.
- Dry, peeling cuticles look dreadful - keep cuticles moisturised with a good cuticle oil such as CND Solar Oil (€12.99). Alternatively, a rich hand cream or even lip balm will do the trick.
- Prep nails by removing excess oil and filing into shape. Oval is my preferred shape as I think it’s more elegant and practical than stiletto or square (which snag on everything!)
- Instead of a clear base coat, try a white base coat for a long-lasting manicure – Khloe Kardashian swears by this. Try Essie’s white polish Summer Private Weekend (€9.99).
- Wrap the tips of nails with polish to prevent chipping. Bring the polish over and slightly under the nail.
- Clean up nail polish messes with an angled eyebrow brush dipped in acetone. I also love mini Q-tips from Muji.
- Apply a new topcoat every couple of days to keep your manicure fresh. I love Catrice Quick Dry High Shine Top Coat €2.99.
- If you smudge a nail, dip in nail polish remover to smooth the surface and reapply polish. Try the Bourjois Magic Nail Polish Remover (€6.99).
- Finally, if you break a nail and don’t want to cut it off, use a little clear nail glue to hold in place, and then paint over with polish to seal. It should get you until your next manicure. Try the Nailene Ultra Precision Glue (€4.49).
Have you any nails tips to add? Will you be trying the new Wet n Wild colours?
*Press sample. For more, see disclaimer