I’m pale. And interesting. Okay, okay, I’m pale and reasonably interesting. Being pale, however, gets a bad rap in the mainstream media where sunkissed lovelies are favoured over us more ghostly types.
Admittedly, it’s taken me literally decades to embrace my pastiness. Here’s all the reasons I’ve rejected being pale for most of my life.
1. You look like a goth even when your musical influences are, in fact, Justin Bieber and Katy Perry.
2. You turn lobster red on a sun holiday and then revert to pasty the minute you get back home.
3. Your ghostly face appearing unexpectedly around a corner often frightens small children and animals.
4. People are overly concerned for your health when they see you and will offer unsolicited advice on eating more iron or getting your Vitamin D levels checked.
Being pale also has its advantages, of course (you look like a goth! You turn lobster red on a sun holiday! Your ghostly face! People are overly concerned for your health!).
But the main advantage is the ability to pull off a dark plum lipstick with, er, aplomb. I’m digging vampy lips at the moment. For a start, it reminds me of the Nineties when dark lips were where it was at. It also perfectly emphasises my uber pale, post-winter complexion. Finally, with Valentine’s just around the corner, I’ve decided to give red a miss this year for a damn fine burgundy.
If you decide to vamp it up, it’s important to let your lips do the talking and keep the rest of your make-up very simple with flawless skin and softly defined brows.
If you’re not sure what colour suits you, here’s a quick guide. If you have pink undertones, you should try lipsticks that have blue undertones such as wine, deep plum and oxblood.
If you have yellow undertones, you should try lipsticks that have orange undertones such as deep red, burgundy and maroon.
My favourite vampy lipsticks:
1. Bourjois Rouge Velvet in No.10 Magni-fig
2. The Body Shop Matte Liquid Lip in Mauritius Dahlia
3. Flormar Revolution Perfect Lipstick in Aubergine Opencall
4. Bourjois Rouge Velvet Lipstick in Velvet Grand
5. Urban Decay Matte Lipstick in Bad Blood
6. MAC Lipstick in Heroine
In the gallery above, I’m wearing:
- Laura Mercier Oil-Free Foundation
- Laura Mercier Finishing Powder
- MACx Ellie Goulding eyeshadow (no longer available)
- Clinique High Impact Mascara
- Flormar Revolution Perfect Lipstick in Aubergine Opencall
© The Beauty Inbox 2018
*Some PR samples